Thursday, June 21, 2012

Wednesday: Cooking class and last night dinner...


We got up about 6 am to pack up our stuff to move to another B&B for our last night in Rome. We had  originally planned to spend all four nights at one B&B....but a mix up with dates on our part forced us to have to spend our last night elsewhere. Things worked out nicely though and we were able to located a B&B just around the corner that accepted bookings for one night. In a high season like May, that's great! We wanted to check in early so that we could leave our luggage there before going to our 10 am cooking class in Trastevere. We checked in easily without issue and walked about a minute to the bus stop and took the 23 to Trastevere.

We arrived to the cooking class with 20 minutes to spare.  I will review the class separately on its Trip Advisor page...but let me  just say that it was the highlight of our time in Rome! Our class was filled with some pretty kool people and the instructor, Chef Andrea, knew his stuff! As an icebreaker, we sat around a table and sharing some cheese, homemade jam and toasted bread. We cooked, talked and ate until about 4:30 pm. We made zucchini parmigiana, gnocchi, beef with cherry tomatoes and arugula and ricotta and dark chocolate pie! Heaven!
















The plan was to take a walking tour of Trastevere using Rick Steves' audio guide but we didn’t do that. Instead, we just took our time walking around and taking pics before we hopped on the bus back to the Vatican area. Though stuffed from the cooking class, we were craving gelato so we got off the bus and made our way to Old Bridger Gelataria – only to to be met with a longggggggg line. Ugh. We thought about going over to a Blue Ice we’d seen nearby but decided we were being greedy anyway...and should go straight home. Lol. On our way to the B&B, I saw the phone place and decided to pop in and sort out the issue with my phone (BB messenger not working). After 30 minutes or so it was "sorted" (and the guy assured me it would take about 2 hrs to work) and we headed home - collapsing in bed as soon as we were in our room. A few minutes later, my phone started going off with tonnes of message alerts (two hours to work huh? More like 2 mins! But I wasn't complaining!) I had missed since Monday so I was caught up replying to messages while the boyf rested.


 
At about 7:30 pm, we started to get ready for dinner. We had 8:30 pm reservations at Ad Hoc. I was a little worried we would still be full from cooking class...but we weren’t. Great! This was to be our special last night dinner and I hoped it would be nice. We both put on some dressy clothes and left. We walked a few steps to Ottaviano metro station, got off two stops later at Flamino and took a three minute walk to the restaurant. We were greeted warmly and seated. I was immediately fond of the ambience. We were given a welcome glass of prosecco and it was divine.  We had a smoked salmon mousse thingy compliments the chef. I was about to take pics when it happened - the camera started acting up and some images were coming out  fuzzy and weird and I kept getting a  lens error message. I was soooo upset! Nevertheless, I remained focused on the occasion and really enjoyed it. I had calamari with spinach and potato cakes to start and my boyf had the seafood platter which included the calamari, smoked salmon (one of his favs) and sea bass.  Yum! My boyfriend then had the best pasta dish ever created in life. Rabbit ragout pasta. Sooooooo good. I had veal and potatoes. The veal was sooo soft and falling off the bone but I had food envy and wished I had ordered the rabbit ragout. I didn’t even consider it, as I've never had rabbit before and didn’t want to commit to ordering it as a main course at that time. We both finished our meals with a trio of crème brulee - vanilla, poppy seed and cinnamon. Dessert was ok...just ok. I was a little bummed that the tops of the crème brulee weren’t all scorched and sugary as is usually the norm. We got 10% of of the bill since I booked online (I knew we would and was prepared to mention this if we failed to receive the discount) ; and also received  a complimentary bottle of spumante. Our bill came to 82 euros after discount. It was a great night. We took a kool walk back to the metro and noticed an exhibit with police vehicles throughout the ages in a nearby square. As my camera had died, I used the cam on my smartphone and it sucked as usual so the pics were awful. We went to bed quickly after arriving home.








No comments:

Post a Comment